Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Be safe wherever you go. Tonight is the night of ghost and goblins, the night where the living and the dead have no boundaries. Beware as vampires and werewolves walk the earth, and no I am NOT talking about Jacob and Edward.

Hollywood has played a large part in the images that scare us; monsters and demons, the living dead, aliens, headless horseman and large spiders, but children tend to put their own twist on Halloween.

When I was about 12 years old, I thought I was so brave. I loved to watch scary movies and tell frightening tales to my friends. There weren’t any nightlights being left on in this girl’s room!

Some of my friends were such babies. They wouldn’t even go to the little local haunted house that I had mastered a few years ago. I was ready for the big leagues.

My sister (8 years older then me) was planning a trip to one of the legendary Haunted Houses in our area. This Haunted House was rated in the top 5 of the all time scariest Halloween attractions in our state. My mouth began to water, I couldn’t contain myself, and I HAD to find a way to talk her into letting me go. I wanted this BAD, so the pleading began… I worked on my sister for days. I would wash her car or do her laundry or ANYTHING she needed me to do. I laid it on as thick as I possibly could.  Finally, she gave in, I was allowed to go. WHOO WHO!!

The day of the event couldn’t get here fast enough. I knew I was going to be brave. This was going to be an epic moment.

As we were standing in line, I started to get a little nervous. All of the things that were being said to me before hand trying to make me realize how scary this was going to be finally started to sink in. The creepy man in a mask informed us that we were going to be, “the next to die”. First, we would be driven on a trailer through the haunted woods, where several people have met there demise and their souls are seeking bodies to inhabit. And if we were one of the lucky ones that made it to the house at the end of the trail, we would have to fight our way out of the dark manor filled with patients that have escaped from the insane asylum and had taken refuge in the abandoned house.

Holy Cow! What was I thinking? I didn’t know that this was legit! I thought all haunted houses were run by the local boy scouts!!

The hayride started with a police officer running after us with a bloody leg dragging behind him. He was yelling for us to help him- that the lunatics attacked him and his partner while they were trying to take them back to the hospital.

Oh My Gosh!!!! I was way out of my league already. I buried my head in my sister’s boyfriend’s coat and didn’t come up for air until the ride stopped. There was NO WAY in this world was I going to go through the house where the cops were attacked, are you kidding me? So I waited at the exit doors with a very nice lumberjack that had an ax stuck in the side of his head.

Needless to say when I returned to school the following Monday, I was still one of the bravest kids in my class because I went to the scariest Halloween attraction in town!


Happy Halloween,

Ann with Reflection Beads

No comments:

Post a Comment