Monday, March 14, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

My dad loved St. Patrick’s Day- “Kiss me I am Irish” pins, green t-shirts with witty sayings, top hats and shamrock glasses would proudly be displayed.

Dad would come marching down the hall and start singing and dancing. The smile on his face and ornery look in his eyes was priceless. My mom would laugh and call him her “Old hard headed Irishman” (endearingly of course) as he danced and sang his Irish jig.

What is it about St. Patrick’s Day that people enjoy so much? I am pretty sure it isn’t the historical or religious facts. When push comes to shove I believe most people are just looking for a reason to have fun.

As my dad would say, “Cut loose and have fun, it doesn’t matter who is watching. People will either like you or not, so you may as well be yourself.”

My father has been gone for almost 2 years now, but his orneriness lives on in each of his children and grandchildren. To represent him in “my story”, I have chosen the Reflection Beads Celtic Knot. Although the true meaning of the Celtic Knot is not clear, I am going with the belief that it stands for the “timeless nature of our spirit”.

On St. Patrick’s Day cut loose and have fun - Wear green to avoid being pinched, and give a big green beer cheer to the “Old Hard Headed Irishman”, in the sky.


Ann with Reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment